Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Online Identity Project

In today’s society, it seems more important than ever to maintain a very positive image about yourself online. Recruiters and employers are turning to the internet more when seeking prospects for positions that they ever had in the past. In this struggling economy, companies are cutting back in all areas such as marketing and the expenses of posting ads online for job seekers. They have instead turned the table and now do their own research for prospective job candidates. Employers are researching their own candidates to make sure they would be a good fit and these searches could turn up some very interesting information about people. This reason alone would justify keeping a positive and professional image online to further enhance your ability to get employed.

After doing some research on my own identity, it seems that my name has become very common. I looked through a handful of these websites of other people and there are many pages that would project a bad impression. I did take the advice of my professor and turn my Facebook profile from an open public profile to one that requires my permission to access.

I think that your ability to find a job is greatly enhanced by using more resources to your advantage. I’ve had a resume online with Monster.com, but will now expand my horizons with the addition of Linkedin, VisualCV and Businesscards2.

No comments:

Post a Comment